A List of Effective Topics for Your Next Definition Essay
A definition essay is one of the easiest kinds of writing assignments that you might be given. To write a good definition essay, you should be able to explain the meaning of a word, phrase, or concept. It is similar to what you do when tell your friend about a concept that you have studied in class recently. However, it is harder to do the same in writing, therefore you should select a topic keeping in mind that you will have to write about a chosen term or concept. Generally, it is easier to write about real word concepts compared to abstract ones.
It is recommended to choose a topic that you are interested in. The list below contains various topics; you can choose the one that you want to focus your writing on.
- A good or bad supervisor
- Cancerogenic substance
- Capillary tension
- Common sense
- Foreign molecule
- Healthy lifestyle
- Optimism or pessimism
- Peer pressure
- Personal freedom
- Personal responsibility
- Phenomenon of convergence or divergence
- Right of property
- Right to vote
- Sense of home
- Surface tension
- The meaning of love
- The term ‘phase’ as it relates to heterogeneous mixtures
- Tricarbonic acid cycle
If you want to write an effective definition essay, you should remember the following details:
- Do not try to seem smarter than you actually are. Your explanation should represent an academic level you are writing at. Though you can use scholarly articles and outstanding date from the world leading labs, it is better to keep it simple.
- Make sure that you state in your introduction what term or concept you are going to explain next; do not confuse the readers.
- Take your time and choose clear and relevant information to develop your topic. You should pick reliable sources and provide chosen details in a logical manner.
- Consider your audience and use materials that the readers will understand. Your essay should help the readers learn more and find out some interesting facts about the subject.
- Create a clear essay structure. To do so, you should write an outline first, talk to your supervisor, and then start writing your text. You will save your time when you cite while you are writing.